• Hunger is the No.1 Cause of Death.
• 7000 people die every day of hunger.
• 5000 children die every day of hunger and its related causes.
• 5 people die every minute from hunger.
• 200 million people will sleep hungry tonight.
• 1/3rd of the world’s hungry live in India.
• 8 Indian states are poorer than Africa’s 26 poorest countries. Around 420 million poor live in the state of Bihar, Jharkhand, UP, MP, Chhattisgarh, Orissa, Rajasthan and West Bengal compared to 410 million in 26 of Africa’s poorest countries.
• 99% of every 1000 Adivasis in state of Jharkhand and Rajasthan have not eaten two square meal this week.
• 220 million people are undernourished.
• During 2006 – 2007, malnutrition contributed to 7 million children dying, nearly 2 million before the age of one.
• 30% of newborn are of low birth weight, 56% of married women are anaemic and 79% of children aged 6-35 months are anaemic.
• 12% teenage girls are already married, 4% are conceiving first child, 16% are already mothers.
• On an avergae 15089 girls are raped every year, 35014 married women are victims of dowry death (bride burning), 35000 girls are molested and 5809 girls are traded for prostituion every year. Every 16 hrs. a girl is raped in New Delhi – the capital city of India.
• Over 15,000 children were STOLEN in 2011. Around 25% of them from Delhi alone.
• Every 2 hours, a child below 5 years of age is bought and sold for forced beggar and child labour. Most of the children sold are from Odisha and Chhattisgarh state and most of the buyers are from Punjab state of India. Ludhiana, etc districts of Punjab have many factories for which they need cheap labours. On the other hand, Mumbai has the highest number of child beggars in the world. All the kids are made to beg against their wishes. (see the movie – Slumdog Millionaire).
WE INDIANS …
- On 3 Feb 2008, MNS workers assaulted North Indian taxi drivers and vandalised their vehicles in Dadar Mumbai. The police remained mute spectators as MNS workers assaulted North Indians. The next day in Mumbai, two motorcycle-borne MNS supporters hurled bottles at Amitabh Bachchan’s (a North Indian actor) bungalow at Juhu. On Saturday, May 01, 2010 – Around 150 men, allegedly supporters of a local MNS leader, barged into the homes of over a dozen north Indian families on Thursday night and beat up men, women and children alike. (instance of widespread racism in India and also shows that India still carries tribal localized mindset despite of more than 60 years of Independence as a Republic)
- TNN, Jun 21, 2010, – According to police, Monika (18) and her lover Rinku (19), both from Jaat families, were brutally killed for honour at Nimriwali village, near Bhiwani. The father of the girl, her brother, uncle & cousins are suspected to be behind the crime and are absconding. More than 3500 people were killed (boy and girl) by their own relatives for honour in 2009. (instance of widespread religious killings in india)
- September 21, 2009 – a Moyon Naga girl from Manipur was molested after being beaten up blue and black by the neighbour in Munirka, under the Vasant Vihar Police Station, New Delhi. http://www.nehelpline.net/ (again an instance of prevalent racism in india)
- New Delhi, Mar 8 (PTI): At least three women were raped or molested in the national capital and adjoining satellite townships everyday this year, if official statistics are to be believed.A total of 128 cases of molestations and rapes were reported from Delhi, Noida and Ghaziabad in the first 45 days of the year, the statistics said.In the national capital, a senior official said, 70 cases of molestation and 45 cases of rapes were reported this year till February 15. Last year, Delhi reported 552 cases of molestation and 469 cases of rapes. http://www.nehelpline.net/ (instance of law & order condition in national capital – god save the other cities)
- Imphal, Jan 19 : At least 75 children including 24 girls were rescued in the year 2009 while being trafficked outside Manipur. The year 2009 witnessed several children and girls being rescued by NGOs or by the police while being transported to cities like Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata and Delhi. According to reports, 25 children hailing from Kaibi village in Senapati district were rescued by Kolkata police from an Andhra Pradesh-bound train in June last year. Six girls from Churanchandpur district were rescued in June last year from an inter state bus – the girls were reportedly being taken to Delhi. About 15 girls were rescued last year by Child Line, Imphal while they were being trafficked to Chennai. A total of about 110 girls including minor girls were rescued in January 2008, according to available records. The minor girls who were rescued were either found in illegal homes or intercepted while being trafficked to other States of the country or outside the country. http://www.sinlung.com/2010/01/75-manipur-children-rescued-from.html#ixzz1J3deKBG8
- Saturday, December 05, 2009, 13:14 – In an incident eerily similar to high-profile Sanjeev Nanda and Utsav Bhasin hit-and-run cases, a US returned 24-Year-old engineer Simran Sodhi, rammed his Mercedes car, at around 2 am, onto a bunch of labourers sleeping on a pavement in the Sarojini Nagar area of South Delhi. (indian laws apply only to poor, people with money and power go away easily)
- Commonwealth Games Delhi, 2010 – www.wikipedia.org – A massive construction and “beautification” project has resulted in the demolition of hundreds of homes and the displacement of city dwellers – at least 100,000 of New Delhi’s 160,000 homeless people have been removed from shelters, some of which have been demolished.Bamboo screens have been erected around city slums to separate visitors from the sights of the slums. (realpolitik)
- Commonwealth Games Delhi, 2010 – www.wikipedia.org – Over 415,000 contract daily wage workers are working on Games projects. Unskilled workers are paid Rs. 85 to 100 per day while skilled workers are paid Rs. 120 to 130 per day for eight hours of work. Workers state that they are paid Rs. 134 to 150 for 12 hours of work (eight hours plus four hours of overtime). Both these wages contravene the stipulated Delhi state minimum wage of Rs. 152 (approx. US$3) for eight hours of work. (instance of exploitation and violation of labour rights by the government itself)
… PROUD TO BE AN INDIAN